Netra Foundation was founded way back in 1990 under the auspices of Paramacharya of Kanchi Kama Koti Peedom Shri Shri. Chandra Sekhara Saraswathi Swamigal of Kancheepuram in the campus of Netracharya Late N.V.Kuttikrishnan Nair (1921 - 2003) at Niranam near Thiruvalla, Kerala India . The Holi Paduka and a Coconut blessed by the Paramacharya himself is being worshipped in the hospital since then.
Padmabhushan Dr.S.S.Badrinath(Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai), Late Shri.K.K.Somani (Mumbai), Padmashree.DarshanShankar(FRLHT, Bengaluru), Dr.A.V.Balasubramanium (CIKS, Chennai), Padmashree.P.R.KrishnaKumar (The Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (Cbe) Ltd;), late Vaidya Vilas Nanal (Pune) and Dr.Prof.Prema Pandurang served as the founder directors.
Netra Chikitsa (Ophthalmology), a speciality area in traditional medicine of India (Ayurveda), has to date very few practitioners and experts compared to other areas like bone setting(Orthopaedics), Visha chikitsa (toxicology) or Balachikitsa (paediatrics). Sudarshanam Netra Chikitsalayam in Thiruvalla of Pathanamthitta district in Kerala state is a well known centre for treating various disorders of eyes.
Sudarshanam Ayurvedic Eye Hospital & Panchakarma centre.
Sudarshanam Netra Chikitsalayam is housed in a calm and beautiful land off to the beautiful paddy field, in the new campus which comprises of the Silver Jubilee block including 2 suites and 10 deluxe rooms and can treat upto 40 patients a day. The clientele spreads across Kerala as well as other states and abroad. The center is also equipped with modern diagnostic tools and an in- house pharmacy to prepare special oils, ghee and decoctions beneficial in eye disorders. Sudarshanam is also equipped with 3 well arranged Panchakarma theatre where all Ayurvedic therapies are undertaken for general ailments(LBA,IVDP,Cervical Spondylosis....to name few..).
Sudarshanam now extends its services to more than 6 cities spreading almost south central Kerala, Bengaluru and holds periodical camps at various destinations in Mumbai.
Disorders of spine (Cervical & Low back(LBA)), other rheumatic joint pains,and systemic disorders are also managed here. Separate care for female & male patients are available.
- An ideal place for ayurvedic treatments.
- Specialists to care .
- Suites,Bath attached A/C & ordinary rooms .
- Homely atmosphere & vegetarian food .
In additon to this, we are also providing specialised Kerala Ayurvedic treatments like Dhara – Pizhichil and Njavarakizhi – all under one roof.
- Medical management, based on Ayurvedic Shastra, of various eye disorders, like refractive error, uveitis, corneal disorders, diseases related to vitreous and retina(like Diabetic retinopathy Age related macular degeneration,CSR CSME etc.
- Preparation of genuine formulations advised in ancient treaties for the treatment of the eye. Today traditional ophthalmology is so less practised that the medicines required are not available in the market.
- Methodical documentation of all cases using modern diagnostic equipment to enable a factual presentation of the capabilities of Ayurvedic treatment to a wider professional community.
- To bring this knowledge within a wider professional circle by organizing suitable training and extension programmes including publications.
- Enable a factual presentation of the capabilities of Ayurvedic treatment to a wider professional community.
- To undertake other such research, training and extension activities that can further promote the cause of traditional ophthalmology.
We are also in the process of collecting all literature on traditional ophthalmology whether in the form of thaliyola leaves, manuscripts or printed books and thus be a good referral library for any information relating to traditional ophthalmology.
- Unique program to impart on hand training to upcoming practitioners of Ayurveda (Post BAMS)in Ophthalmology by Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth,New Delhi under department of AYUSH,Govt. of India commenced by March 2010.
- Project CRY Suraksha:- A comprehensive school children Eye screening Programme, launched in association with Child Relief & You (CRY)1999.
- Propagation of Ayurvedic Ophthalmology in association with "Ashoka innovators for the public", USA, 1994.
- Identification of Eye diseases manageable by traditional/ Ayurvedic Medicine in association with STEC of DST Government of Kerala, 1995.
- Training for Ayurvedic treatment in Traditional Ophthalmology in collaboration with "Ayushman Ayurvedic Trust" Coimbatore, a subsidiary of The Arya Vaidya Pharmacy, (CBE) Ltd.
- Gurukula training to Ayurvedic Gradutates to award CRAV(Certificate of Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth) in association with National Ayurveda Academy(RAV) under Dept. of AYUSH Govt. of India - 2010 - 2011.
- 1988 – Graduated in Ayurveda from university of Madras
- 1989 – Training on Traditional Nettra chikitsa at Thiruvalla.
- 1991 – Modern diagnostics informal training at Sankara Nethralaya Chennai.
- 1993 – Commenced Chikitsalayam at Thiruvalla.
- 1997 – First Ayurveda eye camp for 1 month at Jaipur blessed with presence of Shri.Bali Ram Bhagat the Governor of Rajasthan
- 1999 – Expansion of the facility and proficient staff.
- 2009 – Shifting to own campus with enhanced patient facilities.
- 2017 – Silver Jubilee additions & enhancements of Chikitsalayam at Thiruvalla.